Training Deaf & Blind Dogs webinar coming this week, April 26th 3:00pm – 4:30pm EDT. Register here: http://www.apdt.com/education/webinars/details.aspx?id=100088 This webinar is for all levels: beginner to advanced. This webinar will be recorded so you do not have to attend the live presentation on Thursday, you can watch it later.
APPROVED CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEUs)
- CCPDT: 1.5 CEUs
- IAABC: 1.5 CEUs
- KPA: 1.5 CEUs
- IACP: 1.5 CEUs
- SAWA: 1.5 CEUs (pending)
Teach what are the common behaviors that owners want who have deaf, blind, or deaf & blind dogs using positive reinforcement. What are the “must do’s” specific behaviors for each of these dogs. And how train each of these dogs to do those behaviors. How to teach a dog who is deaf and/or blind basic obedience cues, manners, social skills, and safety cues using positive reinforcement. Also learn when and how to manage dogs with these special needs. Basic learning theory using “outside the box” thinking to reinforce and communicate as well as practical examples. Just because a dog is deaf and/or blind doesn’t mean his brain doesn’t work. These dogs are just as intelligent as “Joe Normal” dogs, and training them just means using some critical thinking to be a creative problem solver. Learn how to use the other senses to train the most requested owner behaviors using positive reinforcement techniques.
Some key points that will be covered:
- How do dogs become deaf / blind?
- What are the symptoms?
- How can you test if a dog is deaf?
- Are vibration collars a good idea?
- Why do some deaf / blind dogs become aggressive or develop anxiety?
- What cues and behaviors can I teach my dog?
- Is ASL the best for training a deaf dog?
- How do you communicate?
- How to handle relationships between other house hold pets after your dog goes deaf / blind?
- How to avoid major problems & aggression?
- Do I need to euthanize my dog?